Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Fat Ceiling

Wow.  Been over two weeks since I put anything here.  I should more than likely apologize for that. But then, I know of only like.. two people who sometimes read this thing, and only one person that I'm positive of, but I should still feel bad. so here we go, Sorry Sami.

Now, you're probably wondering about the title for this entry, well let me give you a little background here.  If you know anything at all about me as I currently am, you'll know that I'm a bit of an American Politics junkie.  National stuff mostly, seeing as I don't really have a substantial foothold anywhere to get into local politics.  But that's a digression.  Being a AmPol junkie (or APJ if you will), I followed the national elections in 2008 very closely.  For anybody else who did, you probably heard alot about this whole 'glass ceiling' concept.  Mostly from Hilary Clinton supporters. 

The Glass Ceiling is a concept developed basically to explain why there hasn't been a female president, or a multitude of female CEOs, etc. It's The Man's (literally) way of keeping a woman down. She can see the top of the ladder, but there's this invisible barrier blocking her way through.  Hence, the Glass Ceiling metaphor.  Now, I'm not somebody that gives this much credence, and I'm certainly not a Feminist by any means or stretch of the imagination, but it's a decent metaphor for what's been happening, so hear me out.

I had hit a fat ceiling.  That was the unmagical weight of 260.  I could not, in the last month and a half, get below that weight. I couldn't!  I would bounce back and forth, never going over my start of 263, but I could never get below that 260. 

Until, last friday.  Now, I worked myself to almost death (it felt like) last week.  I walked every day, I did anywhere from 65-100 crunches every night, I stretched,  I burned, and I hit 259 last weigh in on friday.  HELL YEAH! Hear that sound? That's the Fat Ceiling shattering!  Probably due to my still massive weight, but still...Shattering!

Now, to just get down to that next level and smash that one too.  And then the next. And then the next.  I'm trying to decide if I want to celebrate for every 5 lbs lost, or every 10.  I'm thinking little celebrations for 5, big letters and possibly balloons for 10.

I'm noticing a weird trend though.  I get a little on the cranky side when I haven't had a chance to exercise or go on a walk or anything.  I walked for 2 miles this afternoon around the neighborhood, and yet tonight, after eating the ohmygod heavy and rich dinner and then the small bit of carrot cake that I had, I felt so heavy and bloated and I was getting cranky.  It was midnight and I wanted to go out and walk around the block just to try and get some calories burned.

But! I put in the new Walk at Home DVD that I got (which has bits of pilates thrown into the walk) and I figured I would do just the 1 mile.  I did that no problem, and it went right into mile 2. I was a bit sweaty but I thought that I could keep going, and so I did, right into mile 3.  I finished up the 3rd mile and then the stretch and holy god did I feel good.  Sweaty as hell, but good.  I felt lighter than I did after dinner, and I felt strangely relaxed.  I stretched a bit, did my 100 crunches, and then went downstairs to grab my water bottle.  Took the dog out and let the cool air help settle me down a bit.  then i came inside and showered.

It's amazing just how doing a little bit of exercise can actually make me feel so much better now.  Of course, I have to work on my breathing techniques.  And I don't think the pilates mat workout will work for me just yet, still too much fat and boob in the way, but I WILL GET THERE!

Side note, I bought a new dress.  It's a size 20.  I'm hoping and planning on being able to fit into it come september. If not sooner.  I will hang said dress up on my wall, or maybe on the back of my door, so that i can look at it and be inspired. 

Double Side note, my pants are falling off, but i can't wear a belt.  This is frustrating in many many ways. 

I think that's it for now, I promise I'll update more often, now that I think I'll have more progress to show.

1 comment:

  1. Oh I'm so glad you posted!

    I was super worried that you'd given up, but I'm really glad to see you did well. I've been eating those zatarains, since I saw you were eating them and they really aren't that bad for you. Do you have any favorites?

    You are so inspirational. I'm going to go home and go for a walk just because you inspired me!

    -Tammy

    P.S. I hope I didn't offend you by asking about your boyfriend! I just was curious. Keep posting, I can't wait to read more. You're in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete